Sunday, September 16, 2012

The dog days of summer

Well, our September held on to a hot and humid summer as long as possible.  Still holding out on the heat, but the humidity is way down.  I spent time out in the pond this week trying to identify the dragonflies that are out there.  It is actually pretty exciting.  Since we have managed to cut down on the crayfish population, I am seeing insects out there I never saw before.  At least eight species of dragonflies, and three-four species of aquatic beetles. I can't "prove" it, but I am guessing that the dragonfly nymphs were eaten by the crayfish.  Now the pond is alive.  The insects in the pond, the algae and other aquatic plants now growing. I can't help but think that the health of the pond is improving.

I keep looking for migrants now. Anytime.  Have seen a few turkey vultures, and some lesser goldfinches, but that is it.  I get so excited in September....the promise of fall is here and I can hardly wait!
Flame skimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment